[PD] Playing and recording simultaneously

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Jul 5 06:03:51 CEST 2010

On Sun, 4 Jul 2010, Martin Peach wrote:

> As long as they are on the same card, they will be in perfect sync at
> the clock level unless you have some really unusual hardware. This is
> because the same clock is used for A/D and D/A. Usually they are on the
> same chip and the data from the ADC is clocked out using the same clock
> that loads the DAC.

Can you just explain to us why sync has to be done when you have two
soundcards that are supposed to be sending you the same number of blocks
per second ?

I mean, for example, suppose a soundcard that is nominally set at 44100 Hz
is actually running at 44098 Hz ; then what happens to Pd objects that
depend on the samplerate (such as [osc~], [lop~], etc) ? Do they use
44098, or 44100 ? that would be the same as whatever [samplerate~] says,
but somehow, it always says exactly 44100.000 ... why ? Is it because my
soundcard's clock is that much accurate ? (it's a cheap on-board thing)

I recall seeing precisely "44098 Hz" when my soundcard was an ISA
Ultrasound (Gravis) some 5-10 years ago, but I don't recall whether it was
at Pd's startup, another programme's startup, or both.