[PD] interface/pd-based standalone applications question

chrism chris at mccormick.cx
Mon Jul 5 06:45:12 CEST 2010

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 13:20:23 +0200, João Pais <jmmmpais at googlemail.com>
wrote:
>>> unfortunately I can only code in Pd. if you lived near me I could
>>> cook for  you :) or something.
>>
>> I won't be in Berlin for a while, otherwise I would be up for that!
>> Better to cook Miller something huge and delicious instead though...
>
> is he here?

I have no idea. I just meant that if anyone deserves to be cooked meals
because of Pd related things, then it's Miller.

sloccount says:

Total Physical Source Lines of Code (SLOC)                = 93,652
Development Effort Estimate, Person-Years (Person-Months) = 23.50
(282.04)
 (Basic COCOMO model, Person-Months = 2.4 * (KSLOC**1.05))
Schedule Estimate, Years (Months)                         = 1.78
(21.33)
 (Basic COCOMO model, Months = 2.5 * (person-months**0.38))
Estimated Average Number of Developers (Effort/Schedule)  = 13.22
Total Estimated Cost to Develop                           = $ 3,174,933
 (average salary = $56,286/year, overhead = 2.40).

That is a lot of lines of source code (only 25,000 of them are
portaudio/portmidi). Pretty sure that 13.22 people didn't write the
majority of the Pd code. :)

> can you put a better guide somewhere on how to
> do  these things? when you say "check out the code" it's something any
> of you  guys do with your eyes closed, and it takes me almost 1h to
> understand why  anything is working. I also don't know what is a diff.

Good idea. Sorry for my presumption.

Chris.