[PD] software license for pd general patch?

João Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 6 16:50:56 CEST 2010

>> this isn't part of my abstractions (at /extra/jmmmp), it's a "full
>> program".
>> it doesn't come with pd-ext, it's on my pd page. I would say that it's
>> as big
>> as all my abstractions together, but never measured it.
>
> Ok, now it brings this question to my mind : is there anything you can
> break away from your full programme such that the full programme becomes
> smaller and the abstractions library becomes bigger, in a manner that the
> new abstractions are really things that can be useful for any other
> purpose than the one of the full programme ? It's a big key for making
> your full programme worth doing : recycle as many parts as possible, or
> at
> least make them recycling-ready.

there might be, but a) I have no interest or purpose on doing it, and b)
there wouldn't be any really useful abstractions coming out of this. in
fact, it might even make my programming slower (because I would have to
manage x programs instead of 1), and the whole thing more confusing to
manage.

>> I had started talks with a friend that does data visualisation to make a
>> patch to automatise the listing, but he bailed out. so I have to do the
>> work by hand.
>
> The GridFlow Index is auto-generated by
> http://gridflow.ca/svn/trunk/doc/make_index.tcl (which also includes a
> list of exceptions that have to be made in that patch). You could use
> that
> as an idea for building the index in a wiki format or csv format,
> whichever you need for flossmanual.

how does this auto generation works? I looked at it, but I don't know tcl,
and can't really learn it now (and really don't want to learn it). Since
there is no submission/peer review process for externals in pd-extra, I
would like to keep updating my list, but in an automatic way. I was
thinking of an approach of something that goes through the folders and
makes a database out of the files(objects) that it finds. not perfect, as
there will be exceptions to manage, but better than doing it by hand
(which is how I did the list so far).

>> if you don't want just to do 10m of 4/4
>
> Well, I don't, but the problem with that, is that I usually want to do
> 10m
> of 7/4 instead. ;)

that's the same thing. then you'll be loosing time by typing a score which
has always the same rhythm/tempo. better put a metro with a mod, and you
have it.
the music for which the program is made is more like:
-http://www.google.com/images?client=opera&rls=de&q=brian+ferneyhough&num=50&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=sz4zTK7TNYKbOP2BsdYK&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CDsQsAQwAw
- http://www.bmic.co.uk/images/ausgangspunkte.gif
-
http://www.renewohlhauser.com/image.php?file=files%2Fimages%2Fi60_quotduometriequot_seite_11.gif