[PD] software license for pd general patch?

patko colet.patrice at free.fr
Tue Jul 6 21:00:20 CEST 2010

----- "Mathieu Bouchard" <matju at artengine.ca> a écrit :

> On Tue, 6 Jul 2010, João Pais wrote:

> > that's the same thing. then you'll be loosing time by typing a score
>
> > which has always the same rhythm/tempo. better put a metro with a
> mod,
> > and you have it. the music for which the program is made is more
> like:
>
> Ah yeah, that's a good example score-wise.
>
> But then, the problems with such scores are things like the flirting
> too
> close to the "uncertainty principle" (tempo is used for a time too
> short
> to be really felt) and the "consonance" of tempos (13:10 can be quite
> hard
> to distinguish from 4:3 in many circumstances, just like such ratios
> of
> frequencies can). But you picked extreme scores, and I can see very
> well
> how pieces of much lesser complexity than that can be a lot more
> followable by the ear _while_ at the same time having much of a use
> for a
> complex programmable super-metronome.

 This uncertainty principle would only apply to uncertain styles of music,
main differences between rythms are about how you interpret them

 If the rythm is played like every step with no accent, no one would make a difference between
11:8 , 4:4,  7:16 ...
 that's why we use some patterns where it's easier to recognize differents
ratios, and those patterns are things that defines the style of the music.
 If we compare both the music of Ministry and the music of a Taraf de Haïdouks
we would have for the same complex bars but different kinds of musics,
 because they use different kinds of patterns.

 In fact even in a simple 4:4 bar, the need for a variable metronome is quite necessary for orchestras.
Different sections don't play their parts at the same tempo, if you pay attention to it,
technicaly a section would play better if the tempo is slower or higher for different parts,
that's why there is conductor.

pryvitannie

--
Patrice Colet