[PD] Jack, Pd-extended, Lucid and me.

Pedro Lopes pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
Wed Jul 7 14:33:45 CEST 2010

Hi Olivier,

I dont have much time on my hands now, but I tested your patch in my Ubuntu
9.10 using jack. results:

1) I lauched the first one, it took quite a while and CPU bursted as soon as
the patch opened (meaning.. heavy patch :D)
1.1) I draw and played a sequence, audio is okay.
2) I launched the second. Major CPU burst, that pdextended went almost to
90% cpu all the time
2.1) The audio began to glitch. (but no xruns on jack)
3) I launched a pdextended just to play test audio sinewave, it launched
fairly quick (of course the CPU was busy with other instances..so not as
quick as usual) and played without glitch.

I need to test more with more time on my hands, but it seems that its more
related to how heavy the script is rather than the jack setup. But i really
need to test it further, and change jack latency to see if it affects that
much... jack never went past 10% os usage, which is normal for that many
instances (sometimes i use pd and renoise, and it goes much higher).

My jack setup was:
- rt (I have rt kernel)
- buffer at 512 and 3 period
- using the onboard sound card which is sh*t
- my laptop is also sh*t for nowadays standards (AMD 1.9 Turion X2)

Best regards,
Pedro

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 1:14 AM, Olivier Baudu <lamouraupeuple at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm going to try to expose the problems I've met during the last two month
> dealing with the title of my post.
> Sorry if it's confused.
>
> This winter, I used to work on an Ubuntu Hardy, Extended 0.41.4 and with
> the jackd and qjackctl from the official repository (by the way, my sound
> card is a firewire Presonus Firepod).
> I had no problem to use 4 different instances of Pd at the same time using
> jackd as sound server. (and I can precise I didn't need RT-kernel to do what
> I wanted).
>
> I recently change for Ubuntu Lucid.
> So I also change for Pd 0.42.5 (rc4) and the new official jackd and
> qjackctl.
>
> If I use the kernel 2.6.32-23, I can play my patch on one instance, it's
> stable but the sound crunch a little bit sometimes.
> I also can execute my patch on 4 instances, but the sound is awful and 3
> minutes later, Jack quit.
>
> So I've try the 2.6.31-11-rt.
> In Pd-ext, If I change directly from ALSA to Jack, pd quit. Every time I
> have to change to OSS before to choice Jack and I can't save the jack
> configuration.
> On one instance the sound is perfect and stable.
> It's possible to launch 4 instances without patch and to hear
> simultaneously the 4 tests tones on my sound card using jack.
> But it's impossible to launch even 2 instances with my patch.
> Both quit at the same time when I try to pass from OSS to Jack on the
> second.
> Console message just tell me that GUI of Pd have quited.
>
> My patch is the one you can find on this page :
> http://yamatierea.org/papatchs/squareroom/OSR.htm
> Direct link for the patch :
> http://yamatierea.org/papatchs/squareroom/OSR.zip
> But be careful if you look inside... it's still a little bit fuzzy...
>
> Do you think there is a way to solve my problem ?
> --> Using my patch, simultaneously on 4 instances of Pd-extended using Jack
> on Ubuntu 10.04?
>
> Thank you.
>
> 01ivier

Pedro Lopes