[PD] multicast send/receive?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Jul 7 18:20:28 CEST 2010

When making installations, I find its common that the IP addresses of
the machines have to change when they are moved from the dev setting
to the final installation.  Or sometimes DHCP servers fail, etc.
Currently, I'm using udpsend/udpreceive and the broadcast address
255.255.255.255 so that it'll work with any IP range, including the
self-assigned one.  I ran into a problem with that because it seemed
that on Mac OS X with two active network interfaces, the messages sent
to 255.255.255.255 only went out on one network interface.

To get around this, I think having a multicast send/receive would work
quite well.  MaxMSP has maxhole which is basically that, and I've
heard its quite commonly used.  Any chance of one of you Pd networking
people (Martin, IOhannes, Ico?) or someone else also finding this
useful and making it? :-D