[PD] Future of Motorsounds in Electric Cars and Games

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Sat Jul 10 13:43:27 CEST 2010

The translation was so bad you might even get completely
reversed scores for some of these questions.

An interesting topic though.

I've discussed this with two groups of undergrad and
masters students recently.

It is likely that legislation will quickly be
needed to deal with customised car sounds, because
human nature won't permit some people to have
ordinary, quiet, functional ones. It will
quickly become a race to have the most disturbing
sound once there is a market for this technology.

As an environmental issue, noise pollution is the
boisterous elephant in the street.
Nobody wants to tackle it. Because sound is a
secondary faculty it gets pushed under the carpet
in discussions. For example new London buses with
gas turbo engines cut CO2, but they also reduce the
quality of life by keeping people awake at night with
their much louder screaming engines.

Helath and safety measures have increased the power
output (and perceived loudness by adding more noise
and inharmonics) of sirens, so now the vehicles can
speed even faster. While they may get there 20 seconds
earlier and save a life, 10,000 other people along the
route have their peace and concentration shattered.
Cumulatively the adverse health issues (hearing damage,
stress, sleeplessness) plus the loss of productivity
may outweigh any benefits of louder sirens.
Yes this is Schopenhauer for the 21st Century, but
nothing has changed. You can pump 120 dB of doofcar
noise into the street and nobody looks twice, but
if you started pumping poisonous gas into the street
you'll be thrown in jail. Only one kind of pollution
is trendy to decry.

Meanwhile, car manufacturers build ever quieter
interiors that are impervious to external noise.
So there is a 'war' going on. Drivers want to be
cocooned in a private world, while inflicting their
'personality' on the outside. This is a pathological
stance.

New technologies might be optical, or radio, that
allow emergency vehicles to signal ahead to roadside
beacons or dasboard indicators in cars. Satnavs could be
modified to prominently indicate nearby emergency
vehicles.

Directional demodulation sound could be employed for
sirens as only those in front of the vehicle need to
hear it is coming.

--
Andy Farnell <padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk>