[PD] Future of Motorsounds in Electric Cars and Games

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 21:12:42 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 6:49 PM, ede cameron <ecameron at videotron.ca> wrote:

> On 2010-07-11, at 12:16 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 11 Jul 2010, ede cameron wrote:
> >
> >> rules is more than likely the reason they aren't been developed. I'm
> sure we envision flying cars as the chance of flying from A to B in a
> straight line. The mess that would be created with everyone flying from A to
> B in a straight line would be chaos to say the least.
> >
> > Individually-flying people is a waste of fuel that doesn't make any sense
> considering the post-1960's economics of energy. Therefore, to make it
> worthwhile for the masses, it has to be in the form of large-scale public
> transportation with specially-trained drivers. That way you could establish,
> for example, a bus line driving diagonally from Ahuntsic to Hochelaga that
> could save up to 29,7% on distance, and up to 100% on traffic lights, using
> a specially-crafted fleet of these :
> >
> >  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MSTGyFHUuk
> >
> > _ _ __ ___ _____ ________ _____________ _____________________ ...
> > | Mathieu Bouchard, Montréal, Québec. téléphone: +1.514.383.3801
>
>      Okay but this guy wouldn't pass the eye exam. LOL
>
> ede

interesting topic, interesting thoughts. I just hope HG is subscribed to the
list and actually reads these. (If not, nothing is lost:
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2010-07/thread.html)
So, a minimum sound level, and a maximum level is regulation is desirable,
and if we're talking about sound branding, i would add the sounds shall be
easy to identify with a car, most like they shall "sound like an engine".
They shall express speed and acceleration, and shall be easy for the ear the
estimate the direction where they are coming from (no idea what this
implies... harmonics?), and i guess, they shall "react well to doppler
effect" (again, i have a serious lack of knowledge in audio theory). They
might also need to avoid the resonance frequencies of some typical things
(the skull, and average size home windows for example), and they need to be
free of sounds that have a known negative mental effect. (And cannot
broadcast subconsciously audible advertisements :) Within these regulations,
companies shall be free to brand their car sounds.

Andras