[PD] Pd concert video

PSPunch shima at pspunch.com
Tue Jul 13 11:48:42 CEST 2010

Hi Toby,

(2010/07/13 12:58), Toby Sinkinson wrote:
> wow, really liked this!  Are you a fan of the work of Asa Chang at all?

Funny you noticed.. is he well known out of Japan?

Primitive concepts of my work included triggering patches on my Dumbek.
After getting as far as hooking up pickups, I met recordings by
"Asa-chang & Junrei" which kind of turned me off, getting to know what
they had already achieved.

But then, later from visiting one of their concerts.. although I could
be wrong, my understanding as of today is that their concept is to play
sophisticated rhythms along with pre-recorded tracks.. not specifically
triggering sounds on their drums.

This discovery gave me a reason to get back to my desk and continue
working, although I still gave up using percussions to avoid obvious
overlaps in the resulting sound.

I still highly respect their work, and wouldn't mind driving 3 hours to
the concert hall like I did previously. :)

--
David Shimamoto