[PD] benevolent dictator? (was: 2d multiple preset interpolation?)

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Jul 14 08:31:56 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:07:08AM -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> >I would love a proper way for Pd vanilla/core to load libraries
> >into abstractions. I know of [import] but most of my abstraction
> >libraries target vanilla installs, too, so I cannot use it. And
> >[declare] currently is designed for top-level _main.pd-style
> >patches only, so there's no way to really preload list-abs in
> >RTC-lib-abstractions for example.
>
> It's not even working for top-level patches, because what you load
> for one top-level patch is also loaded for all subsequent patches
> until you restart pd.

If I interpret Miller's intentions for [declare] correctly, that's what
it's designed to do. (I base my interpretation partly on his use of
[declare] in the Pure Data Repertory Project PDRP.)

In my interpretation, [declare] is intended to be used in a single
MAIN.pd and is the place to load all dependencies for all abstractions
used inside that project ("dependencies" includes things like paths to
resources like samples etc.). So if an abstraction you use complains
about missing a [list-drip], add a [declare -(std)path list-abs] in MAIN.pd.

When used in this way as we do in all the RjDj scene archives[*]
[declare] works very well.  But [declare] does not help with
canvas-local loading at all, probably because it's designed with
different intentions. To declare is not to import.

(It took me a while to realise all that ...)

[*] http://trac.rjdj.me/wiki/ComposerGuidelines#StructureofaRjDjscene

Ciao
--
Frank