[PD] [getfilenames] alpha test release

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Jul 26 18:14:35 CEST 2010

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Jul 15, 2010, at 11:59 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> Oops, right. I looked at my auto-screenshot tool, which uses [folder_list],
>> and it's using a messagebox with "add2", to build a list from the output of
>> [folder_list]. But I only remembered using the list, not how I got to have
>> a list in the first place.
> Seems like [folder_list] should probably output a proper list...  can anyone
> shed any light on the advantages of the two approaches?

the list output approach allows to use [list split] on it in any way you
want... go back and forth... access items by index.

First-next and start-next approaches are good when you're really thin on
memory and have lots of files, which is very relative, considering how
much RAM we have to waste these days.

The latter would have more of an advantage if you needed to output
multi-element entries, especially when those entries have variable number
of elements, but that typically doesn't happen with something like
[folder_list] (it could happen for some other classes for which you'd ask
yourself that question). It's related to the lack of nested-lists in Pd.