[PD] [getfilenames] alpha test release

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Jul 26 23:25:23 CEST 2010

Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:
> On 26/07/10 17:14, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>>> Seems like [folder_list] should probably output a proper list... can
>>> anyone shed any light on the advantages of the two approaches?
>
> Getting a folder listing is not an atomic operation, and interfaces that
> try present it as atomic are made of fail (for example, try using GIMP's
> file open dialog in a directory containing 10000+ files - I ended up
> having to kill GIMP from the console because I couldn't wait for the
> "cancel" button to be operable).

That sounds like an argument against the "one big list" interface.  I
wonder if a glob would similarly barf, because globbing is one big
operation, then you iterate thru it.  So representing that as a list
isn't so far off.  But maybe globbing is quite efficient... I don't know
I haven't tested it tho.

.hc