[PD] pd with pulse?

Lorenzo lsutton at libero.it
Tue Jul 27 09:43:05 CEST 2010

Bernardo Barros wrote:
> i think the choices are alsa and jack. jack would be a good choice for
> everything. You can connect audio between applications, and even
> pulseaudio can send audio to jack. my pd version dont work well with
> jack, I dont know why. Maybe I did something wrong during instalation.
I would second jack for getting the best performance, although setting
up jack sink with pulseaudio can be a pain and jack will usually block
applications which aren't jack-aware (browser etc.).

If really in desperate need of pd while some other audio is on you may
do something as hacky as:

padsp pd[extended] -oss -audiobuf 80 -noadc

padsp is actually a pulseaudio OSS wrapper. Of course your mileage may
vary... For example on my system I have to suppress audio input (-noadc)
to have this working and bring latency up a bit.

Ciao,
Lorenzo.