[PD] pd with pulse?

olsen sesselastronaut at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 27 18:33:07 CEST 2010

ej pat
i was hasseling around with this too - so due to my research there're two ways to sail round this -
basically you have to route your applications using pulseaudio or alsa thru jack.
the other day i was using the jack with alsa layout but currently i'm running the version jack with pulseaudio though
with this layout pulseaudio gets kicked out ev'ry now & then...

_____jack with pulseaudio
sudo aptitude install pulseaudio-module-jack

execute this (i put this in my jack options in the 'Execute script on startup' section)
pulseaudio --kill && sleep 2 && pulseaudio --start -n --fail -F /home/olsen/.pulse/jackd.pa
also on the mentioned kickouts execute this line again - i do not remember where the jackd.pa file came frome just in
case i attached it!

_____jack with alsa
think this can be skipped in 10.04

-----
sudo apt-get source libjack0
cd jack-audio-connection-kit-0.116.1
configure & make
cp ./drivers/alsa/.libs/jack_alsa.so /usr/lib/jack/
-----

put the following in a .asoundrc file in your homedirectory
from http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Jack_%28plugin%29:

pcm.!default {
      type plug
      slave { pcm "jack" }

      hint {
        show on
        description "My default"
      }

}

pcm.jack {
      type jack
      playback_ports {
          0 alsa_pcm:playback_1
          1 alsa_pcm:playback_2
      }
      capture_ports {
          0 alsa_pcm:capture_1
          1 alsa_pcm:capture_2
      }
}

ctl.mixer0 {
      type hw
      card 0
}

hope this helps

On 07/27/2010 09:43 AM, Lorenzo wrote:
> Bernardo Barros wrote:
>> i think the choices are alsa and jack. jack would be a good choice for
>> everything. You can connect audio between applications, and even
>> pulseaudio can send audio to jack. my pd version dont work well with
>> jack, I dont know why. Maybe I did something wrong during instalation.
> I would second jack for getting the best performance, although setting
> up jack sink with pulseaudio can be a pain and jack will usually block
> applications which aren't jack-aware (browser etc.).
>
> If really in desperate need of pd while some other audio is on you may
> do something as hacky as:
>
> padsp pd[extended] -oss -audiobuf 80 -noadc
>
> padsp is actually a pulseaudio OSS wrapper. Of course your mileage may
> vary... For example on my system I have to suppress audio input (-noadc)
> to have this working and bring latency up a bit.
>
> Ciao,
> Lorenzo.
>>
>> 2010/7/26 patrick <puredata at 11h11.com <mailto:puredata at 11h11.com>>
>>
>> hi,
>>
>> my os: ubuntu 10.4
>> pd-extended 0.42.5-rc4
>>
>> when opening pd, no other application can use the soundcard. is pd
>> able to use pulse? if not, what is the solution to not block other
>> application from using the soundcard?
>>
>> pat

ETs DNA will not be televised
http://hasa-labs.org