[PD] abstraction setting its own arguments

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Jul 29 00:21:04 CEST 2010

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> [adddollsym 1-$$1(
> You have to dynamically patch because saving [$1-$$1( will give you
> [$1-$\$1( the next time you load the patch.

That looks like a bug... is that $$1 behaviour documented anywhere ? Not
only I haven't seen it in any documentation, I also don't remember anyone
mentioning it. And then the change from $$ to $\$ is definitely a bug,
because something you can type by hand in a messagebox then save/load (or
delete/undo or copy/paste...) shouldn't produce any characters that are
forbidden to type, which are {\} (but frankly the backslash is about the
only one likely to occur in such bugs).

> I guess "adddollsym" was designed at a time when you could only put the
> dollarsign variable at the front of a dollsym.

how about this ?

   [adddollsym2 %0-something-%1 %(

Where $1 is the text for making the dollsym, and $2 is the character that
will be replaced by a $ while making the dollsym. In this method, no
initial $ will be assumed, which will address my question #3. So, if this
solution is fine, then only question #2 would be left to answer.

Then it would be a good thing to add adddollsym2 to pd itself.