[PD] abstraction setting its own arguments

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 29 01:04:22 CEST 2010

--- On Thu, 7/29/10, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:

> From: Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>
> Subject: Re: [PD] abstraction setting its own arguments
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> Cc: pd-list at iem.at
> Date: Thursday, July 29, 2010, 12:21 AM
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, Jonathan Wilkes
> wrote:
>
> > [adddollsym 1-$$1(
> > You have to dynamically patch because saving [$1-$$1(
> will give you [$1-$\$1( the next time you load the patch.
>
> That looks like a bug... is that $$1 behaviour documented
> anywhere ? Not only I haven't seen it in any documentation,
> I also don't remember anyone mentioning it. And then the
> change from $$ to $\$ is definitely a bug, because something
> you can type by hand in a messagebox then save/load (or
> delete/undo or copy/paste...) shouldn't produce any
> characters that are forbidden to type, which are {\} (but
> frankly the backslash is about the only one likely to occur
> in such bugs).
>
> > I guess "adddollsym" was designed at a time when you
> could only put the dollarsign variable at the front of a
> dollsym.
>
> how about this ?
>
>   [adddollsym2 %0-something-%1 %(
>
> Where $1 is the text for making the dollsym, and $2 is the
> character that will be replaced by a $ while making the
> dollsym. In this method, no initial $ will be assumed, which
> will address my question #3. So, if this solution is fine,
> then only question #2 would be left to answer.
>
> Then it would be a good thing to add adddollsym2 to pd
> itself.

That sounds like a good idea.

Since adddollsym currently ignores any additional args, couldn't you
just add the functionality to adddollsym so that when
there's no $2 it behaves as it currently does, but if there is a $2
it does what you describe?  Or is it likely there's some patch out
there that would depend on adddollsym always ignoring extra args?
The only thing I can think of would be
[list prepend adddollsym]

[list trim]

[ (