[PD] Oss and PCM out (Ubuntu 10.04)

Ingo Scherzinger ingo at miamiwave.com
Sat Jul 31 08:19:37 CEST 2010

>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I remember reading something about enabling the SPDIF output (pcm out)
>> while using OSS. Unfortunately I couldn't  find it anymore. I am on
>> Ubuntu Lucid.
>> The digital out of the (onboard) soundcard works when I use ALSA.
>> However, when I switch to OSS it doesn't even output a sync signal.
>> I know it can be enabled (probably in modprobe.d) but I don't know how
>> exactly. Any ideas?
>>
>> Ingo
>>

>...and switching the digital out in ALSA mixer has no effect on OSS?
>I remember using it regardless of what sound system is in effect...
>
>Andras

Unfortunately it's not working with ALSA either anymore. Strange! Leads me
to believe that there might be a hardware problem with the board. I can't
even get a digital sync signal out of the SPDIF anymore.

However, I used to have it working with ALSA and PD. Without changing
anything but ALSA to OSS (within PD) the digital out stopped working with
OSS and started working again when I set it back to ALSA.

Anyway, I'll have to figure out my hardware problem first before I can keep
investigating. Thanks anyway, Andreas! I'll get back when it starts working
again at all.

Ingo