[PD] Gigs with Pd

ailo ailo.at at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 01:30:39 CEST 2010

If you're looking for low latency, than you're propably looking for the
Linux rt-kernel. The generic kernel already does low latency very well,
but the rt-kernel can be a level higher.

Don't know how much the hardware is relevant to the choice of a distro,
other than that of my own experience with NVIDIA graphic cards, in which
case I've come to believe that NVIDIA works easier on on "Ubuntu"
RT-kernels than on much of the competition, unless you compile the
kernel module yourself. Specifically in RT-kernels the difference may be
striking.

I've tried Fedora withPlanet CCRMA, last autumn (on Pentium 3 and AMD
Sempron), but had to give up after loosing two harddisks at once (on the
same machine). I seemed to have problems with something to do with
no=acpi, or something on that road (I'm not a wizard at these things, as
you may have gathered). I made some extensive research on the subject,
but the solutions given on different forums were not enough for my
hardware, at least. Shutting down didn't work very well. Often I had to
use the Power button to shut the whole thing down. This was on a clean
Fedora + CCRMA system, with no other additions other than:
a pci usb 2.0 card (which may have caused the problem due to IRQ, if I
understand correctly)
a pci m-audio sound-card
and a pci wireless network card.

Puredyne uses the "Ubuntu" RT-kernel, to my knowledge (it's been a while
since I updated that machine),
That is the system I use as a "production machine".
The pre-installed Pure Data did not work for me. Neither on the 32 bit
system or the 64 bit system. The input sound was not right (distorted,
wrong samplerate, somtehing like that).
However, the daily build of pd-extended (at this date being the release
candidate 5 (rc-5)), works perfectly. And the Ubuntu RT-kernel, together
with the minimal Puredyne, XFCE desktop is a dream for the live musician.
It "just" works for me.
At home, when "rt" is not as important, but easy desktop-use is, I use
the standard Ubuntu (though not crash-free).

Can't find a straight answer to which is the best system. I haven't had
stainless experiences with any of them.
99% of the time, though, I prefer Ubuntu-based systems.