[PD] Fwd: Disabling of packages to build...

meino.cramer at gmx.de meino.cramer at gmx.de
Sun Aug 1 10:03:08 CEST 2010

Hi,

ok, I will try it again...fingers crossed...

Funs Seelen <funsseelen at gmail.com> [10-08-01 05:20]:

 I am on Gentoo-Linux, which I freshly installed a month ago. With
 the Gentoo system I had previously I experimented with pd-overlay
 and ebuilds, which are not supported by the Gentoo crew, which tends
 to make things more complicated than easier.
 The current system has to last longer than the previous one, so I
 willl no longer unmask packages or install overlays and ebuilds
 from other sources than from the Gentoo-crew itsself.

 In case of the need to install things not supported by the
 Gentoo-crew those have to compile out-of-the-box (classical way
 of installing which only system dependency is of "being on
 a linux box" instead of makeing diffderences what distribution
 is used.)

 By the way: pd-extended searches for dpkg-* executables and than
 thinks of being on Debian and installs everything into /usr/bin
 instead of /usr/local/bin.
 My opinion is, that this logic is not working in every case. Gentoo
 offers dpkg-* utils also. The result is that pd-extended gets
 installed into places, which are only for ebuilds.
 (Takes me some time to figure out, whether everything wants
 to go to /usr...)
 As long as there are no official ebuilds for Gentoo, pd-extended
 should keep its fingers off /usr.
 If the distribution cannot figured out 100% surely, break the installation
 process or ask the user for help.
 The existence or not-existence of certain tools is not strong logic.

 Only my two cents, your currency may vary... ;)

 ---

 I compiled pd-0.42-5 from the link you gave me, and it
 compiles/installes well.
 Unfortunately I have no clue, how install the rest, which makes the
 now installed pd-vanilla into pd-extended...

 Best regards,
  mcc