[PD] Yet another post about cpu consumption... (for Linux users)

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Thu Aug 5 20:25:01 CEST 2010

On 05/08/10 09:31, Pierre Massat wrote:
> How do i check this? I have a core 2 duo "inside"...

To check:

$ for CPU in 0 1 ; do cat
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu${CPU}/cpufreq/scaling_governor ; done

To change:

$ sudo su -

# for CPU in 0 1 ; do echo performance
 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu${CPU}/cpufreq/scaling_governor ; done

# for CPU in 0 1 ; do echo ondemand
 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu${CPU}/cpufreq/scaling_governor ; done

(set to 'performance' when you need it, set back to 'ondemand' when you
need to save power/battery/etc)

(Tested on Ubuntu-flavoured Linux)

Another thing to be aware of is thermal throttling - if it gets really
too hot then it may slow down to save from melting, in which case the
system logs will tell you (try dmesg | tail, etc).  Solution here is
cleaning fans/heatsinks, usually.