[PD] advice- multiple camera inputs

Dima Strakovsky dima at shiftingplanes.org
Sun Aug 8 14:12:25 CEST 2010

Hi all,

Coming out of the lurker mode to ask a question here :) I am kicking around an idea for a work that would require four camera inputs. The video streams would be remixed in realtime and output via a single projector. Was wondering if anyone has played with the scenario and has some advice  to offer?

OS-wise I could go with ether OsX or LInux. I am looking for the max resolution from each input. Hopefully at least 320X240. Ideally higher. Camera-wise I was looking at two solutions 1. four cameras go into a multiplexer and then I grab the four different quadrants from the video stream or 2. four firewire cards (might be too much of a brute force solution:) + might run into some interesting driver issues).  Also, is there an advantage to having two boxes processing inputs and then sharing them over a network i.e. using more then one computer for this work?

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

										dima

Dmitry "Dima" Strakovsky
Assistant Professor of Intermedia
University of Kentucky