[PD] recording GEM output weird framerate

Marco Donnarumma devel at thesaddj.com
Mon Aug 9 13:58:22 CEST 2010

@ Lazzaro: yes I know, thanks for specifying, but the problem is that the
duration of audio and video files I record don't match each other.

@ Cirylle: ok, now maybe I understand.
I'm actually already using a similar abstraction of yours to monitor fps :)
My patch is completely automatic, it's a sonification/visualization of large
amount of data, thus I just press a toggle to start it.

So:
if while recording the fps monitor shows 10fps, it means that also pix_write
will record only 10 frames per second and _not_ 20 as I stated in gemwin, is
that correct?

I was probably wrong assuming that whatever fps is stated in gemwin will be
the recorded fps, even though the machine can't reproduce it in real-time.

Ok, so, if I can only record at 10 fps, what do you suggest to finally have
a recorded video with a decent framerate? (apart from changing machine...)
I guess I could use ffmpeg to double the framerate, but the video might be
jittery...

2010/8/9 cyrille henry <ch at chnry.net>

> here is a simple abstraction that output the real rendering frequency.
> it help a lot to track this kind of problem.
>

> Le 09/08/2010 13:02, Lazzaro Nicolò Ciccolella a écrit :

>>> Hi, apologize me if it is a dumb answer, but if you apply very intensive
>> motion bur and other stuf in your patch the speed of what you see in
>> your gem box will be very slow. The sequence of images that is generated
>> will necessarily faster than what you see when the patch is running.

Marco Donnarumma aka TheSAD
Independent New Media Arts Professional, Performer, Teacher - Edinburgh, UK

PORTFOLIO: http://marcodonnarumma.com
LAB: http://www.thesaddj.com | http://cntrl.sourceforge.net |
http://www.flxer.net
EVENT: http://www.liveperformersmeeting.net