[PD] pd on ipad with externals

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Aug 10 12:53:45 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 11:07:55AM +0100, João Pais wrote:
> but to make patches run, they have to be programmed in vanilla,
> right? and it's not possible to do reatime control like input
> numbers, or anything more than the touchpad control?
>
> or is it possible to use pd-ext in the iphone or ipod maxi?

As Cyrille wrote, it's mostly a political issue: AppStore apps are
tied to the device and officially only available through the AppStore.
This is some kind of DRM and many people don't consider it compatible
with the GPL, at least not with the latest version.

To play it safe, the Pd in RjDj only contains the BSD parts of Pd, no
[expr] etc. Some GPL stuff is included, like the rj library, but that's
all written by Reality Jockey. You cannot load your own externals
because Apple disabled dynamic loading on a OS level.

Nevertheless it's possible to do amazing things just with vanilla,
expr-less Pd, as far as sound is concerned. The rj library has been
designed to offer many ready-made vanilla solutions to common musical
needs. It's possible to do kick-ass music just with vanilla, as all the
recordings on rjdj.me prove, or just watch this video by Osaka techno
act RYUKYUDISKO having fun with the Rj Voyager (which offers an
auto-generated GUI for Pd patches):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bx9cXwhog8

(Yes, it *is* Pd vanilla making that sound.)

Ciao
--
Frank