[PD] PdCon 2011?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Aug 11 18:53:45 CEST 2010

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> i don't really understand the question. PdCon is organized by volunteers
> at a certain place; nobody choses to make it somewhere but the people
> who actually do make it. it was not like miller or hans or you stood up
> and said "hey let's make the pdcon in sao paolo"; it was sao paolo that
> volunteered to do it (and likewise for graz and montreal).
> so if you want to do it in berlin, just volunteer to do it and then do it.

Yes, it's not only organised by volunteers, it's also initiated by those
very volunteers. « At a certain place » is relative though : in the 2nd
convention there was one organiser who lived 200km (two hundred) away and
went back and forth weekly, and another one who had a job 5000km (five
thousand) away and went back and forth a little less often, but still,
basically everybody had a foot in Montréal. In the 3rd convention, if I
understood it properly, it was more scattered, more «multi-city». I say
that because I want to say that a «multi-city» collaboration is a
possibility.

> (obviously you should sync yourself with other candidates, in order to
> avoid duplicate effort)

But then, « make the competition irrelevant » can be several things :
be much better than your opponent, or... make it a cooperation instead.