[PD] [FM Discuss] Portuguese translation of the PD manual

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Aug 12 20:00:12 CEST 2010

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, Vilson Vieira wrote:

> yes, it's pt-br. Every translation is interesting not just for the
> native speakers of the target language, but even the original version
> could benefit from that. Translating a document we're revisioning the
> original one, so it's so natural to go back to that and include some
> contribution.

Yes. It's important that the translators are not just blindly translating
everything they read. That way, it makes the translation effort more worth
it without much of the cost of a separate review.

The cost of a separate review is that it's pushed back a long time because
hey, it's not that urgent (it never is...). Having translations means the
original manual ought to be rather solid, in order to not waste the
translation effort.

> I usually recommend the FLOSS Manual of Pure Data to new users, and they
> don't like so much when discovers that it's written just in english. for
> newcomers it's a pretext to run out.

indeed. it probably is a bigger problem than it seems, nowadays, simply
because also many people wouldn't admit that English is a reason to run
out, and so they'd mention any pretext other than English.

But even to someone who knows English very well, manuals written in
English aren't as inviting as manuals written in one's own language.

> Personally I don't like to read translations,

Is it that the translations are not good enough ?