[PD] [FM Discuss] Portuguese translation of the PD manual

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Aug 14 01:35:47 CEST 2010

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, João Pais wrote:

> - but anyway Pd's operating language is (and it will be for much time)
> english. Since all help files are in english, it's not possible to go beyond
> a certain level in Pd without coping with this.

Do you mean it's not possible to translate help files ?

> Having the object list in english slowly makes people get used to this
> reality

Having the object list translated slowly makes people get used to the
possible future of translated help files.

> - I compiled this object list, and am fed up with it - it had to
> be done with copy-paste.

I have made a tool to maintain an object list in several languages. It's
what was used to generate gridflow/doc/index.pd. Currently I use it only
for a single language, but it's already easy to plug alternate languages
into it, and it sorts the object list alphabetically and keeps everything
aligned, with the same spacing all over.

Just to make sure : by object list I mean something with short
descriptions, as found when right-clicking in the background of a canvas.
You mean the same thing, right ?

> this list is, in theory, already obsolete 5 minutes after being done.
> There are always new objects,

I don't think that there ought to be a single centrally-maintained list. I
also don't think that it ought to be in a format that makes you think
something like "it's obsolete 5 minutes after being done" : a minor update
should feel like a minor update and not like a whole "oh no, not again !"
kind of chore.