[PD] [FM Discuss] Portuguese translation of the PD manual

Bernardo Barros bernardobarros2 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 15:02:26 CEST 2010

2010/8/13 Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>:
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2010, Bernardo Barros wrote:
>
>> Hum, yes. For PD it is a problem indeed. The file format would have
>> separate "content" from "presentation", right?
>
> Yes and no... there are different things that this idea can mean. the
> documentation system of GridFlow does separate part of the presentation, as
> for example, the look of each section heading is completely determined by an
> abstraction, and the abstractions know the rules and know how to move
> themselves downwards on the canvas to leave enough space for other objects
> (you have to see it to understand) but the positions of the objects are
> still saved in the file even though most of them could be set to 0 0 when
> saving the file and the process of reloading the file would automatically
> reposition them (this latter repositioning already works).

I think if PD wants to have diff systems and things like that it have
to somehow separate what is significant and not significant for the
procedures of the program. Moving objects a little around is most of
the times little relevant.

There is this dot (graphviz) language, do you know? It renders simple
schemes to complete graphics. Something like:

one -> two -> three
one -> four
one -> five
three -> six

Yeah, but this will add computations to PD to proceed just to show up
a patch, maybe bad idea.

>> You can have the same program with objects in different places.
>> But to have that you must guarantee that the object location cannot
>> influence the procedures of the program (if a box is on the left or right of
>> another one).
>
> [inlet] [inlet~] [outlet] [outlet~] have behaviour that depends greatly on
> their x location.

Maybe a little change here? [inlet 1] [inlet 2] [inlet 3] ?