[PD] GEM: pix_film terribly slow in Ubuntu

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 22:53:25 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to play some mpeg4 and h.264-encoded video files with
pix_film in Ubuntu 10.04, and it is terribly slow: it reads about 4-5
frames per second and eat 100% of the CPU.

The files have aproximately 900x500 resolution, which is nothing
exagerate; and even Adobe Flash Player can reproduce the same files
seamlessly at their full (25fps) rate without consuming more than about
40-50% of the CPU.

Any idea of what the issue can be? Is it the codecs? I guess I have
whatever codecs came with the Ubuntu distro. Are there any codecs with
better performance that I should insall?
Or is this the best performance I can expect under linux?

Thanks
m.