[PD] Change CPU rules and another unrelated question

Pierre Massat pimassat at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 11:41:02 CEST 2010

I use a subpatch that is very cpu-intensive, and the problem i have (as i
already wrote in a previous post) is that it works fine for hours on
certains days, and on some others it can start freaking out right away. This
seems to be closely related to cpu load, since the load is always higher
than 20 or 30% when it freaks out (the cpu load never gets much above 5 to 7
% with other patches). So someone suggested that it might be my laptop
lowering the processors frequency depending on the heat, irrespective of the
power needed by Pd at this particular moment. The fact that i don't hear
anything unusual when cpu rule is set on Performance tends to confirm this.
So what i want to try is program a switch that sets the rule on performance
whenever the subpatch is on, and that sets it back to ondemand when it's
off.
Now maybe i could also reduce the general cpu load by using a lighter
desktop. I'm not if i'd work.

Pierre