[PD] GEM: pix_film terribly slow in Ubuntu

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Aug 16 17:37:21 CEST 2010

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:

> They play fine in totem; they seem to consume about 50% of each
> processor (if the System Monitor is to be trusted); I wouldn't expect
> that much but it's probably normal and at least they play smoothly. In
> pix_movie they eat 100% of one processor and run at about 4-5 fps or
> less.

If a movie decoding induces frame skipping, the frame skipping consumes a
lot more CPU than the normal decoding. I've seen this happen in MAX as
well.

Can you put it in slow motion (play at a lesser fps than what's indicated
by the file) and confirm that below a certain wanted fps, it starts to
take radically less real time per logical time ? that should be when it
stops skipping frames.

The frame skipping problem does not happen for a file that doesn't have
b-frames (most notably, all files in photo-jpeg format...)