[PD] GEM: pix_film terribly slow in Ubuntu

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 18:11:16 CEST 2010

On 08/16/2010 05:37 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> If a movie decoding induces frame skipping, the frame skipping consumes
> a lot more CPU than the normal decoding. I've seen this happen in MAX as
> well.

The slowness and high CPU consumption happens even with "auto 1":
shouldn't frame skipping happen only for speeds greater than the
original framerate (that is, only when you actually have to skip frames)?

OR, maybe, it could also be expectable, if the implementation is not
"overly smart", that it would do frame skipping (even to skip from frame
n to frame n itself) whenever "auto" mode is turned off

> Can you put it in slow motion (play at a lesser fps than what's
> indicated by the file) and confirm that below a certain wanted fps, it
> starts to take radically less real time per logical time ? that should
> be when it stops skipping frames.

I don't understand that very well: it should stop "skipping" frames as
soon as the wanted fps is _equal_ to the file's fps; if you go much
lower, I would guess it would actually not only stop "skipping" frames,
but stop _decoding_ frames when it just repeats the same frame

Indeed, if it started taking less real time per frame only when demanded
a _very_ low fps, I would rather interpret that it is actually doing
"frame skipping" every time it is asked for a new frame, whichever it is
(even the next one), except when it is the same frame it is already at.

...what am I missing?