[PD] Object List (was: Re: [FM Discuss] Portuguese translation of the PD manual)

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 16 21:29:13 CEST 2010

--- On Mon, 8/16/10, João Pais <jmmmpais at googlemail.com> wrote:

> From: João Pais <jmmmpais at googlemail.com>
> Subject: Re: Object List (was: Re: [PD] [FM Discuss] Portuguese translation of the PD manual)
> To: "Mathieu Bouchard" <matju at artengine.ca>, "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> Cc: pd-list at iem.at, discuss at lists.flossmanuals.net
> Date: Monday, August 16, 2010, 12:10 PM
> > Here's an object list I
> dynamically created, relying on the
> > PDDP tags that I added to each patch.
> >
> > http://puredata.info/Members/jwilkes/object-list/view
> >
> > It makes use of
> > pddp/helplink (although I'm finding that for objects
> that all
> > share a common help patch, like [cos] and [sin],
> helplink
> > doesn't work).  It's in order of file name, so
> it's not quite
> > alphabetical.
> >
> > But rather than a big static list, I'd like to see a
> nice
> > object search function that can generate a list
> relevant to the
> > user.  (Especially when searching for
> externals.)
>
> I'll look at it later. I guess that would be a nice system,
> but it needs that the developers also take their part, or
> allow that someone formats their patches (or makes them
> write one in the first place).
>
> If the developers do their part, I think this would be a
> great system. But since I'm used that they don't I was
> thinking myself of a "dynamic" database which scans the
> /extra folder. Added items (based on filenames) would be
> formatted once, and then fixed. New items would have to be
> formated once by hand (copy-paste the description...), but
> then would remain in the library. I thought of this because
> several people don't follow any guidelines (which don't
> exist), so it's not possible to trust the developers to help
> with that work.

All that's really needed is one rule: new objects must have a help patch
to be included in Pd-ext.  Once there is a help patch you can get the
name of the object from the help patch's file name, and the library from
the folder it's in.

Other helpful info to be included would be the following PDDP tags:
ALIAS shortname for the object
AUTHOR
LICENSE
KEYWORDS
DESCRIPTION (this is probably the most important for searching)
RELEASE_DATE

and then inlet info:
INLET_0 set bang float
INLET_1 float
INLET_N (variable number of inlets)
INLET_R (rightmost inlet, like pointer inlet on [append])

and the same for outlets.

I put all this in the [pd META] subpatch, but it could easily be put
in the main body of the patch.

I think matju's GFDP ends up with a lot of the same info, except for
AUTHOR, LICENSE, KEYWORDS, RELEASE_DATE.

-Jonathan

> But your system would be much nicer. Maybe would it be
> possible to make code submitabble only when there's a help
> patch with it, or generate these tags through svn? It's not
> that much work to add that to the vanilla objects, it's
> worth the effort of doing it once - I could help with that,
> if St Puckette allows it.

I've already added those tags to all the vanilla objects -- that's how
I was able to generate the list dynamically.  I just need to finish
one or two "all_about_" patches and I'll commit everything.

I've also added tags to many of the libraries.  I think cyclone and some
others are finished but I'm not sure who I need to ask for permission
to change these.