[PD] "new wrap incompatible object" error

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Aug 17 05:09:20 CEST 2010

On Aug 16, 2010, at 11:02 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:
>
>> The pd-extended users in 3 who want to make patches with [wrap]
>> work with both puredata and pd-extended should have known that they
>> were using an extension, but sadly
>
> I don't think that people aren't aware that pd extended bundles a
> lot of things that aren't in pd vanilla. I think that it's made
> pretty clear. Those who don't know that, also have no intention of
> making their patches work with vanilla, if they even know the
> existence of vanilla.
>
> So, suppose that they do know that pd-vanilla is pretty vanilla,
> then the real problem is more like : if they write [zexy/wrap] in
> the patch, it doesn't work with a vanilla+zexy setup, and then, if
> they do it as [wrap] instead, they run into the problems you listed.
>
> Moral of the story is that the "zexy/" prefix is only available in
> the software in which it is available and not in the one in which it
> isn't.

There is no standard vanilla+zexy install, so there is no real way to
support it.  That's the idea of Pd-extended: a standard install.

Terrorism is not an enemy.  It cannot be defeated.  It's a tactic.
expect we're going to win that war.  We're not going to win the war on
terrorism.        - retired U.S. Army general, William Odom