[PD] Using dual processor to manage 2 Pd at the same time

João de Brito Rocha Reis Vidigal jbvidigal at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 17:10:50 CEST 2010

Any idea on how to get the first Pd working with one  processor and the second with the other?

I'm using the Arduino firmata to trigger both sound and video. I think I can't open twice the same port! So how can I use the OSC then to sync the triggering!?

On 17 Aug 2010, at 16:05, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, Pierre Massat wrote:

> Does this mean that in Linux and on a dual core machine one instance of Pd only uses one processor?

No, it doesn't mean that.

But all the messages and signals circulate in a since thread (on a single cpu) unless you use special tools to split it into several threads.

Then there is the "client process", which "own" the patch windows and the main window. This runs separately.

Also, [soundfiler], some GEM input/output classes, and much of PDP, can run in an alternate thread.

> Is there a way to know which processor it uses, and whether it always uses the same processor?

No idea... I still run a single-core all day long.