[PD] Using dual processor to manage 2 Pd at the same time

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 16:59:48 CEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 15:34 +0100, João de Brito Vidigal wrote:
> Since I'm doing this to ease multiple video processing (up to 18 short
> videos), do you think it's ok to open several different net ports? or
> will it then get stuck with that!?

Most of the net classes in Pd I am aware of are not threaded, so yeah,
this theoretically could be an issue. In practice it might not.

The worst that can happen is when the receiving end point disappears
without the sending end point noticing it. In such a case, the buffer of
the sender gets filled and when it has reached the maximum, it blocks Pd
completely. If both the sender and the receiver are running on the same
box this very unlikely to happen. But still be aware of the buffer: If
you send a lot of data, you might still be able to fill it, which would
again cause drop outs. But again, if both are on the same box, it's
unlikely you hit some bandwidth limit.

Now after writing this, I realize that problems relating to buffering
are specifcic to TCP. There is no need to do buffering for sending UDP,
so using UDP should even be less likely to cause troubles.

Roman