[PD] GEM: pix_film terribly slow in Ubuntu

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Aug 19 03:53:42 CEST 2010

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:

> Sorry, I have no idea. All the patches I tried on Mac had only very
> basic or no pix processing but played back and displayed fragment of
> quite a few videos. And right now (nor in the near future) I don't have
> access to a Mac to do more tests. I thought the bottleneck was in
> reading and/or decoding the files rather than rendering, but now I can't
> remember what made me think that (if there was a good reason at all).

What I know is that large memory allocation (128k and more) using the
malloc() command, uses in turn the mmap() command, in a way that is much,
much slower on OSX than on Linux.

In the end, my last question is surely quite wrong. I don't quite know
where the malloc() command is used inside of GEM and how often. But that's
one thing for which OSX is much slower than I expected, and it took me a
long time to find out. (I have no figures about Windows's speed for that).