[PD] "new wrap incompatible object" error

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Aug 19 04:14:22 CEST 2010

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> the same goes for [wrap 1] or [wrap 0 1] (however, the vanilla object
> will silently ignore the arguments, even though their presence might
> suggest that they have a meaning; so i guess it would be ok if there was
> a warning whenever arguments were used)

That's actually a "feature" of pd itself : whenever you register (with
class_new or class_addcreator) any new-method with a fixed number of
arguments, it silently ignores extra arguments. To enforce the argument
count, you have to register your new-method with A_GIMME and then code a
if(argc>=n) {error("barf");return 0;} ... that's what GridFlow's C++/Pd
interface doing under the hood, for every constructor declared with fixed
number of args. (I can't really stand Pd's behaviour there.)

PS: actually, vanilla's [wrap] is completely undocumented, so, if no-one
uses it willingly, pd-extended could completely disable the fucker until
Miller provides a helpfile for it.