[PD] New Tutorial on Convolutions

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Aug 19 07:48:53 CEST 2010

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010, Mike Moser-Booth wrote:

> I've recently been interested in cellular automata and saw that you used
> [#convolve] in game_of_life.pd. I don't really understand how it's working,
> though.

Can you tell me what's missing or not clear from the pageful of notes that
I wrote around the formula (in the subpatch) ?

> Will you be adding bits about how to use convolution in cellular
> automata? I personally would love some help in understanding how that
> works.

Cellular automata are always based on convolutions. It's just not always
stated explicitly... most programmers would rather write nested for-loops
than use something like [#convolve], you see.

First I will add an actual intro to convolutions in general (before I
start talking about blurs and stuff) and maybe it will become clearer for
cellular automata as well. If you have more questions then I will add
something more if I know what to add in particular...