[PD] problem using [udpsend] from iemnet (or mrpeach) in a sub-process (with [pd~])

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 23:29:27 CEST 2010

On Fri, 2010-08-20 at 16:36 +0200, Jack wrote:
> Hello Mathieu,
>
> I have already do that with [packOSC]/[unpackOSC] and
> [udpsend]/[udpreceive], it is slow too.
> I need to send 20000 lists of 3 floats (id, pos x, pos y) each frame (50
> fps) from one process to other.
> Thanx.
> ++

It seems to me as you were creating a lot of overhead for tranmitting
only 3 floats. First there is the OSC overhead per message, then each
OSC message is sent over UDP, while adding some datagram overhead.
By sending 20'000 or even 60'000 floats per message, you could
drastically reduce the OSC and UDP protocol overhead. Don't know if this
is the real reason for being so slow, but I'd try to reformat your
messages. Also, this would probably mean using less computing power for
creating all those messages and packets.

Roman