[PD] signal objects inside dynamically created abstractions?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Aug 21 05:22:26 CEST 2010

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010, Peter Plessas wrote:

> Just creating tilde objects inside a subpatch (without being contained
> inside an abstractio) and connecting them works. I suppose there is a
> reason for this, but didn't find it.

Because the DSP is compiled, to save CPU time and SRAM space (that is,
space in the fast RAM that accelerates the regular RAM).

Then there is no incremental recompilation of the DSP, therefore, if it
were a simple automatic recompilation, anytime there is a ~ object, it
would recompile the whole thing, so, when you want to add many of them,
it'd be very slow.

There would be a fast automatic way, involving a [delay 0] (that is,
clock_delay(,0)) every time you add a tilde object, such that if you add
several objects within a [until], [repeat], [foreach], or [list-drip], it
only recompiles once. But Pd doesn't do this.

Instead you are responsible for doing it. It wouldn't be so bad, if you
had actually access to whether the DSP is currently On, because else you
can "turn back On" a DSP that never was. If you listen to [r pd], you only
know about new On/Off switches, not the state when your abstraction was
created. We'd need an extra external for that (if it does not exist
yet...).