[PD] signal objects inside dynamically created abstractions?

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 11:15:25 CEST 2010

On Sat, 2010-08-21 at 00:00 +0200, Peter Plessas wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> wondering about the following behavior:
>
> Pd's dsp is switched on.
> Creating an abstraction inside a subpatch by internal pd messages like
> [obj 10 10 abstraction<
> The tilde objects inside this abstraction do not work unless Pd's dsp is
> toggled (off and on again).
>
> Just creating tilde objects inside a subpatch (without being contained
> inside an abstractio) and connecting them works.
>
> I suppose there is a reason for this, but didn't find it.

When creating more than one object in 0 logical time dynamically, I'd
recommend to first turn dsp off, create the objects, turn dsp on again.
When doing this, all tilde objects are working afterwards. Also this
approach turns out to be a _lot_ faster than with dsp turned on during
creation. I suppose this because with dsp turned on, the dsp graph is
recompiled on every creation, while with dsp turned off it is only
recompiled once, when turning dsp on.

Can someone with knowledge of the C code confirm this?

Roman