[PD] Font weirdness with 0.43test

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Aug 21 19:39:08 CEST 2010

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> I can fix the size difference by adding "-font-size 12" to the startup
> options or probably by some tcl hacking, but actually I was hoping, that
> the GUI reqrite would finally allow me to avoid using startup options
> for basic GUI configuration and behave more like normal software.

BTW I've been using Pd-Extended's Linux/OSX default font size as the basis
for all my patches for making my last 400 patches or so. I pretty much
expect the standard font size of Pd to become 6 pixels wide and 13 pixels
high. Any deviation from that is making it complicated to have patches
that look good on any OS and any Pd branch.

You can measure the width of a font by looking at the width difference
between [sel] and [pack]. You can measure the height of the font by
looking at the height difference between a single-line box and a
double-line box. Move one of the two boxes one pixel at a time and see how
many 1px moves it take to go from being left-justified to being
right-justified, and top-justified to bottom-justified.