[PD] pd books...

Martin Dupras martindupras at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 19:44:13 CEST 2010

The more books the better, in my err... book. (pun intended.)

What follows is just my opinion.

<rant>I think that books are really very helpful for a number of reasons,
not least of which because they give you a chance to think more
conceptually, away from the screen. That is a double-edged sword, however,
because many books are not very useful away from the screen (e.g. "for
dummies" books) and they soon become obsolete.

There's a second-hand book store in Bristol where all the computer books are
£1. The rationale is that demand for a book on, say, Photoshop 5.0 is low. I
think it's very important that printed books retain a conceptual element.

For something like GridFlow, I think it would be really, really great if
there was a book which spent some time explaining how it works. I'd
certainly buy that. I'd find it very hard to justify the purchase of a
printer set of help files on their own.

In my experience, books tend to be used where a student seeks further
explanation on something that was covered superficially; when they really
struggle with a concept and need a different and more detailed explanation;
and when I point them specifically to a chapter or section of a book.  The
book becomes a resource in the learning process, rather than a compendium of
knowledge.
</rant>

- martin