[PD] [PD-announce] pd 0.43 test 2 (first 'real' test version) released

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Aug 21 20:01:05 CEST 2010

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 14:08 -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> I'm not counting files. I'm reading the code, and even diffing the code,
>> and the difference is about 2% of the C code of the server.
> That should not come as a surprise since that was a clearly stated goal
> of this phase of the GUI rewrite.

Then why is it that Miller's notes say that the GUI was completely
rewritten ?... It seems like it's not very clear for everybody involved !
It should not come as a surprise, *therefore* Miller needs to state things
differently !

> The idea is to first rewrite the Tcl side, touching as little of the C
> code as possible.  The Tcl side was rewritten from scratch, with lots of
> borrowing, where it made sense.

With the amount of borrowing that I can see in the code, it would be more
fair to say that perhaps half of the Tcl side was rewritten from scratch,
but it would take more time to measure it more precisely.

You know, if you search-and-replace to use namespace prefixes all over,
and to use the proc "_" for localisation, it doesn't count as rewriting
those lines you changed.