[PD] Font weirdness with 0.43test

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat Aug 21 20:07:34 CEST 2010

On Aug 21, 2010, at 1:50 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Aug 2010, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> Inconsolata is an awesome font, by far the best fixed-font I've
>> seen anywhere.  That's why made Pd use it if it can find it.
>> Otherwise it settles on what Tcl/Tk decides to call "courier" (see
>> Tk font docs).
>>  set testfonts {"Inconsolata" "Courier New" "Liberation Mono"
>> "FreeMono" \
>>                     "DejaVu Sans Mono" "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono"}
>
> Why don't you just stick with DejaVu Sans Mono that we all got used
> to ?
>
> Is the default size of Inconsolata exactly the same character size
> (6px by 13px) as the default size of DejaVu Sans Mono ?

Well, IMHO, Inconsolata is so nice that its worth the little hassles
there might be.  But the box sizes don't change with different fonts,
even when you use proportionally spaced fonts.  Therefore the layout
should be the same.  Editing text might be slight different, i.e.
clicking in the same spot with different fonts could put the cursor
betweeen different characters.

> Then the IEMGUI font size just doesn't follow in a cross-platform
> way. I had to add the use of my new abstraction [doc_iemfont] so
> that IEMGUI labels have sizes that match those of standard pd "size
> 10" text (size 10 according to .pd format and FONT BOMB).
>
> Then I've been told that Pd (41 or 42 ?) for Windows has a default
> font and font size that make characters not 6 by 13. (I can't verify
> this now because my Windows partition committed suicide by...
> deleting its own dll files or something) ... so... ask Jonathan.

Yeah, the IEMGUI font size issues are still very present.  I think the
best way forward is to write a new GUI lib, the IEMGUI code is really
hard to follow and/or modify.  That's why I started the tkwidgets
library and I hope to pick it up again soon, and also that others will
contribute.

Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a more
direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in practice,
it can change entire economies.     - Amy Smith