[PD] pd books...

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Aug 21 20:21:18 CEST 2010

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010, Martin Dupras wrote:

> For something like GridFlow, I think it would be really, really great if
> there was a book which spent some time explaining how it works. I'd
> certainly buy that. I'd find it very hard to justify the purchase of a
> printer set of help files on their own.

Ok, then nevermind the book because, in the end, the only way I'm going to
write "how it works" is by sufficiently expanding the set of help files
until it covers the ground I want to cover.

With the copyrights I will receive an amount of money that is peanuts and
doesn't quite compensate for the low popularity caused by an incomplete
set of help files. (unless you can show me that I can make at least 10,000
piastres directly or indirectly from selling a paper book ?)

I think I will just keep on expanding help files.

Meanwhile, your problem is still that you need to justify the software
using paper books that have to be paid for and have original content in
them that can't be given away for free. The perception that pd is a fringe
curiousity is fueled by the unreasonable expectation that printed manuals
need to exist. (You and I have been talking about similar issues in the
past, but I don't really know how I could solve any of them, in the end).

OTOH, Pd doesn't have that many contributors, and they're all very part
time. In that sense, Pd is somewhat fringy, and more so when getting into
specific libraries, even the large ones such as GEM, MTL, GF, PDP/PiDiP.