[PD] FIR~ convolution array length bug

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Aug 22 17:52:37 CEST 2010

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010, Andy Farnell wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 15:38:50 +0200
> Ludwig Maes <ludwig.maes at gmail.com> wrote:
>> probably some offset problem? or
>> hardcoded assumption that it will be longer than 2?
> Convolution doesn't really make much sense for 1
> where it degenerates to simple multiplication.

Multiplication by 1 doesn't make much sense, where it degenerates to not
multiplying. Yet it's allowed. Why ?

To unify with the special case of "here we don't really have to multiply".
Because it's less complicated like that and it doesn't cost anything to
allow this feature.

as an example of this uniformity principle, GridFlow's [#convolve] allow
convolution kernels of size 1 and of size 0, just because there's no real
reason to forbid them. In such cases, they do what is expected of them :
multiply by a constant, and multiply by zero, respectively.

And then, if Ludwig said it right, [FIR~] wouldn't work for a kernel size
of 2... what would you say ? that it doesn't make much sense because you
can do that with [rzero~] and [*~] together ?