[PD] Font weirdness with 0.43test

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Aug 22 18:34:50 CEST 2010

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Yeah, the IEMGUI font size issues are still very present.  I think the best
> way forward is to write a new GUI lib, the IEMGUI code is really hard to
> follow and/or modify.

Come on. It only has with the use of the -%d in the sys_vgui calls,
whereever the "fs" variable appears. We introduced that to fix a certain
problem about sizes, but for some reason, it didn't produce the result we
expected (the use of pixel sizes). It will be a small fix like this, by
search-and-replace in a few files or so.

> That's why I started the tkwidgets library and I hope to pick it up
> again soon, and also that others will contribute.

Your TkWidgets won't provide the same functionality, and I have no
guarantee that it will be any easier to maintain. What will you do
differently, so that it becomes easier to maintain ?

I ask because, currently, there's mostly only one structure of GUI widget
used in externals other than mine, and it's largely a calque of IEMGUI's,
in all cases something quite verbose (though at least it shares some code
in g_all_guis.c in the case of IEMGUI). I introduced several new ways of
writing GUI externals (the old gridflow way, the new gridflow way, and the
desiredata way) but they have been so undiscussed that I wonder whether
any new GUI classes would be any different in a good way. It really looks
like whatever research I do on the topic of readability and modifiability
of the GUI code has to be only for myself, as I don't seem to be getting
any honest feedback on it.

what I currently see in /tkwidgets/ seems somewhat different from the
usual case, but currently I can't get it to run, and then, it doesn't have
a properties dialogue either, and then, it doesn't need to render anything
as multiple canvasitems because it's for wrapping Tk Widgets instead of Tk
Canvas Items, so, it's somewhat of a different deal anyway.

And it doesn't fix the problem with IEMGUIs, that people will continue to
use for quite a while. One of the advantages of the IEMGUIs is that they
are transparent (this is something I realised much after I made my
rewrite of IEMGUI in early 2004, in which I made them opaque because back
then I thought it was better that way).