[PD] Problems with "pool" object

João Martins joaomartins at mac.com
Mon Aug 23 21:03:46 CEST 2010

Greetings.

This is my first mail sent to the pd-list, that I've used often as a
resource to solve my Pd problems.
Thomas Grill, the author of "pool" and all the other "flext" goodness, such
as the xsample externals recommended asking help here, since the problem I'm
facing is somewhat specific.
I use Pd-extended 0.41.4 on my MacBook as my main programming environment
and I'm developing an installation project that uses a tangible interface
and fiducials. For better tracking and management of the fiducials, I'm
using JY Gratius' abstractions, that require "pool". No problem on my Mac,
but the deployment of the installation has to be done with a Linux machine,
and now I'm facing some strange issues. The available Pd-extended packages
for recent Linux distributions are 0.42.5-rc5 and they seem to work just
fine (I'm trying out Ubuntu and Ubuntu Studio 9.10 and 10.04), but whenever
I try to use the pool object (directly, or via the fid_class object from
fid_abs), PureData freezes.
I've launch it via terminal with the double verbose option and I get a lot
of jibberish (I'm really a newbie when it comes to Linux) and some of the
error I got point in the direction of Gem. Some even pointed to early
discussions here about Gem versions and flext externals and problems with
file or command name replacements (sorry but I can't find the link, now...).
I've made a simple test, following one of Grill's suggestions here on the
mailing list of testing on Pd-vanilla, and the fact is that when I disable
GEM, "pool" works just fine. But I need GEM and pool working together, as
they do on my Mac.
Is this a version problem? Does the new Gem "breaks" "pool" and/or other
flext objects? Is it a Linux issue?
Can anyone point me at the right direction when it comes to having a stable
Pd-extended on Linux with externals such as "pool"?

Thank you all.

João Martins

trying to use
JY Gratius fid_abs: http://jy.gratius.free.fr/