[PD] Pd-list Digest, Vol 65, Issue 121

rene beekman r at raakvlak.net
Tue Aug 24 07:04:18 CEST 2010

i spent several years at an online news publication and we regularly
received "requests" in this vain (including threats to sue if not complied
with within x number of days) from people we had published interviews with.
the standard reply was always "you agreed to the interview, therefor to its
publication, so no, we won't delete it."
needless to say, nothing ever went beyond a couple of emails back and
forth. (at most we would get a reply saying "yeah, but i don't want to be
associated with that part of my life anymore" - which was always good for a
laugh).

hans, your reply sounds balanced and spot-on to me.

besides the 'it's a public list and you agreed to it' argument, if you give
in to this, you are creating a precedent and the public archive loses its
value as a historical record.
he has not given a strong enough reason to do that.

he won't sue.
(and if he's based in the states, afaik, you can then sue him for
threatening to sue and not following through :D )